Dr Peter White's Blog

Thoughts and comments from Dr Peter White -- political, philosophical, spiritual, musical and more

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

I am retired from the Uni. of Queensland, and have numerous interests inside and outside of the uni. I play classical, bluegrass, country and folk guitar (hows that for a mix?) I am a member of the Australian Labor Party and am currently branch secretary of the Mt Coot-tha branch. I'm also involved in developing virtual reality builds and websites. Never bored!

Saturday, August 14, 2004

A tool for democracy?

I've just been reading an article in the magazine Internet.au on blogging (Blogging for Revolution, Penny Lake) which has prompted me to set up my own.

I have been teaching postgraduate students to use computing technology for language teaching for the past 8 years, as well as being a 'webmaster' for personal and professional academic sites.
Lake's article put a new and urgent spin on the use of blogs due to the nature of the medium, and the growing pervasiveness of the Internet, to enable citizens across the globe to speak their minds.

More and more our mass media are under the control of fewer and fewer owners, who are generally in it for the mass profit; opinions and stories relevant to citizens are often never heard, seen, spoken about, and when they are -- frequently discounted.

I will use this blog for comments on political issues, social justice issues, ethical and philosophical issues, and others from time to time.

I'll say more when my 'ranting' gene is activated. But for now, th-th-th-that's all, folks.

Peter W

-----------
Ref: Lake, Penny (2004). Blogging for revolution. Internet.au (99) Feb 2004. 30-34.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home