Dr Peter White's Blog

Thoughts and comments from Dr Peter White -- political, philosophical, spiritual, musical and more

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

I am retired from the Uni. of Queensland, and have numerous interests inside and outside of the uni. I play classical, bluegrass, country and folk guitar (hows that for a mix?) I am a member of the Australian Labor Party and am currently branch secretary of the Mt Coot-tha branch. I'm also involved in developing virtual reality builds and websites. Never bored!

Saturday, January 27, 2007

Root causes...

Generally I rave on about things political. Today, after reflection, I would like to instead share a poem I wrote recently. I wanted to write a song for my group, but what came out instead was this sonnet. Consider it, perhaps, as an expose of the root causes of many of our human problems...

THE BALANCE SHEET – A SONNET

So, does a business ledger have a soul?

And does a massive profit make us whole?

Or, does a loss then make us even less

Than who we are? Ah, I can only guess,

For values in our land are based on gold.

We humans are worth less – or so we’re told –

Than what in life we manage to obtain;

The merit in our lives is based on gain.

Now Greed – once vice – is held a worthy aim,

No matter that we’re called to kill and maim

To win a war and take the widow’s mite.

And starving millions hidden from our sight

Bear witness to our arrogance and pride:

From Nemesis to come we cannot hide.

----------
That's enough for now.

PB White

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home